Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Getting there

 

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

 
Comments from a friend:
An idea... about the blog and about the ratings. I though you where doing some of the items which you did not mark as present. (So there is inconsistency in the measure).

Short of having someone in the room rating you, you could "consistently" write in the blog and ask external judges to rate what they read in the blog... and see how it compares with the ratings. I'll try that at some point.... to rate what you write in the blog and compare it to your ratings.

The other thing about rubrics.... is that in peer ratings, their average would hold--- and you don't want to do that.... humm, hummm (control, control !!!) You could add the average from the peer score to your rating and get an average, all-inclusive value....

My reply:
Now you're talking! You asked me why I blog...so that I can get the outside observance of what I'm doing and the opinion you have just voiced! But I need concrete details of when and where you think I'm doing something different from my rating in the comment section at the blog. Then it will be exciting and useful to me...I think your suggestion is very exciting and would like to take you up on it, but it might be a good idea to read the Doernyei before you actually start doing it regularly....

There is no inconsistency in the measure. It is what I perceive I did in every class. If I just had the checklist it would be relatively useless. Having the blog and the free written class entry gives you a cross check and opens it up to just such scrutiny as you have done, and makes it a bigger learning process. That's what my essay is about as well, I thought... Reevaluating the subjective with online presence. Reaching out to get help when nobody f2f will observe your classes. Again if you would write concrete comments on when you think you see a different item of the checklist....

I suggested the same thingYou could add the average from the peer score to your rating and get an average, all-inclusive value....to the kids, but wanted to wait and see just how they rate. A colleague has told me their ratings came within his scores so he didn't need to add his opinion anyway....I am reserving the right to see how they are going to score and adjust if i feel they are too strict or plain full marks for crap, so that nobody learns. I guess it would be a nice idea to reaffirm that marking rubrics is a chance to assess strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately all they may see is a chance to get an A grade...

May I copy and paste the relevant parts of this conversation into the blog?

|